WPA2 in Windows XP

Having recently upgraded my encryption settings on my just about barely-trusty Linksys WRT54GC to use WPA2 I was able to reconfigure my super little MacBook to use this standard with no hassle at all.

However, upon booting into Windows XP (using BootCamp) a couple of days later my wireless steadfastly refused to show any signs of life. After mucking about for a while a eventually remembered I had changed the access point to use WPA2.

Unfortunately, Windows XP (even with SP2) doesn't support WPA2 until you download a hotfix from the Microsoft website. The URL for this is:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=662BB74D-E7C1-48D6-95EE-1459234F4483&displaylang=en

It's small download (about 1.5MB), it's very easy to apply, and it even takes a System Restore point before installing.

But why isn't it a Windows update?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where are SCANPST.EXE and/or SCANOST.EXE?

APC PowerChute Network Shutdown - Authentication Phrase

WSUS Issues