Those of you with iPhones have something juicy to look forward to: iOS 4 is to be released on the 21st of June. iOS is the new name for iPhone OS, the iPhone’s operating system. iOS is currently at 3.1.3. Version 4 is a major upgrade and promises some really nice new features such as:
- Multitasking – run more than one app at the same time and switch between them
- Folders – group apps together
- Mail improvements – unified inbox (all emails from all accounts in one inbox), more than 1 exchange account, open attachments in 3rd party apps, organise by thread (like Gmail)
- iBooks – eBook reader and online store
- Creation of playlists on the iPhone rather than in iTunes
- 5x digital zoom
- Tap to focus video
- Faces and Places in Photos - view photos based on who’s in them and where they were taken
- Home screen wallpaper - change the background wallpaper on your Home screen
- Gift apps - send apps as gifts to your friends or family
- Spell checking - built-in spell checker works in Mail, Notes and other apps
- Wireless keyboard support - pair a Bluetooth wireless keyboard with your iPhone
Sounds pretty good. If you have an iPhone 3 or 3GS, or iPod Touch (not 1st generation version) you’ll get the benefits. Unfortunately, the iPhone 3 won’t support multitasking and perhaps a few other features too.
Once it’s out you should be able to download it in iTunes and update your iPhone with it.
See http://www.apple.com/ie/iphone/softwareupdate/ for more info.