Problems with WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage)
Recently a customer of mine was experiencing problems with WGA under Windows XP with SP3. Upon boot-up and login WGA some of the PCs would state that the Windows installation was not legitimate. This was odd as I had recently reinstalled Windows XP on these machines with the correct volume license key.
Comparing the actual product key (using Belarc Advisor) I found that it differed from what it was supposed to be… very odd. So how to remedy this? Here we go:
- Start | Run | regedit
- Go to: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\WPAEvents
- Right-click OOBETimer and choose Modify
- Change at least 1 digit of this code
- Start | Run | %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
- This runs the activation wizard. Choose Yes I want to telephone… and hit Next
- Choose Change product key
- I entered the correct product key and hit Update
- Choose Remind me later
I think a restart was then required… can’t quite remember.
I read somewhere online that if Step 2 gives trouble then you should restart, hit F8 and choose Last Known Good Configuration. I didn’t have to do this so I can’t vouch for this.
This did the trick for me, I hope it works for you.